Thursday, May 04, 2017

Rener Gracie Seminar


I went to a Rener Gracie seminar in Baltimore last night at Baltimore City Gracie Jiu Jitsu. I rode down with my coaches, Dave and Monica from my school, Harrisburg Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as well as fellow students, Holly and Rick. Not knowing what to expect, it was good to be able to ask them what it might be like, and what to look for as the seminar unfolded.

Rener taught us moves from the guard, and it was, in a word, incredible. I am only a one-stripe white belt, so I REALLY wish I had a broader range of knowledge to build on what he was teaching. A large part of it focused on transitioning from "obvious" moves to surprising the opponent when they react to defend based on that assumption. I really liked the way he taught the technique, but also explained the theory behind the moves. Rener's passion for Jiu Jitsu clearly shines through, and he took time with every single person in the gym. And, he gave us tools that we can carry forward for the rest of our Jiu Jitsu journey.

The entire experience, like Jiu Jitsu itself, is its own koan: "I learned so much. I have so much to learn."

No comments: