Saturday, January 03, 2009

Cold Ride


I went for my first ride of the New Year. It was a cold and windy day, about 29 without the windchill, of the sort that Alaska Jill would consider a mild and balmy day, I am sure. Still, somewhere around mile 13 I became aware of my toes and the cold that was permeating them.

Around mile 26, I stopped being aware of my toes, which is perhaps not the best thing. When I got home, I could barely feel them, except to know they were REALLY cold. The entire ride was 37 miles, and I discovered that was a little ambitious after my long layoff, especially in this weather. Still, it was good to get out.

My upper body and legs stayed remarkably warm. I wore insulated tights on my legs and layers on my torso: Base layer, shirt, long-sleeved shirt, semi-insulated shirt, insulated vest and Mango the Windbreaker. It was just right, but a little tight. I also wore a fleece balaclava ($8.99 at Target a couple of years ago--nice bargain!) on my head and face and it was just right. Pearl Izumi insulated gloves rounded out the ensemble.

The only thing I would change is to get some warmer socks. And, of course to be in better shape.

1 comment:

Redlefty said...

You and that Alaska chick are crazy!