Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Learning Matters...

One of the things I have done in conjunction with this whole experience is to learn as much as I can about the disease.

With regard to testicular cancer, Testicular Cancer Resource Center (TCRC) is one of the best resources out there. It is simple to navigate, easy to understand and very well organized. My wife found it for me on Day 1, and it has been a Godsend. I have been cautioned not to overload myself with information, but I find it very intriguing. Consequently, I'm not on overload; I simply want to know what I am dealing with, what my options are, and how best to proceed.

The best part of TCRC is it gives you the questions to ask, and I am now becoming more fluent in the language of this disease. My experience with docs is they always treat you a little better, a little more intelligently, when you demonstarte a fuller understanding of what's going on with your body and your situation.

I went to the US government's cancer site[/URL], as a doctor, and checked out the procedures and how to read charts and protocols. I think it's fascinating, empowering and I really have learned a lot already. I also found some good information at the American Cancer Society's site.

For those dealing with any cancer, the Lance Armstrong Foundation offers a FREE BOOK that helps organize your tests, appointments, results, as well as Survivor Stories and the like. I just got mine last night, so I haven't had time to prepare a full opinion and relevant review, but one will be coming shortly.

Really?
One of the things that I hear a lot from Survivors is "This was the best thing to ever happen to me." I'm not at that stage (yet?) but I have heard it from a great many people. Maybe it's also because I don't think there's a lot I take for granted, and I've maintained a really good perspective on everything God has given me. Still, it does give me pause, and in today's hectic world, I can't help but think that's a good thing...

Thanks for the prayers, good thoughts, well wishes, and for being part of my team. Your support has been incredible, and it will help see me through. A huge additional thanks to those of you who have prayed for me and my family, called, left messages in the COMMENTS here, PM'd me, e-mailed me and wished me well. I am so encouraged and blessed by this, by your stopries and the stories of your friends who have fought this disease in all its forms. Through this whole thing, I have never felt alone. Perhaps that is the best thing to come out of this, so far...

In the words of one cancer survivor (and I LOVE this picture)...

...LiveSTRONG.

No comments: